- It takes about 18 years for a child’s foot to fully develop.
- A baby’s foot will grow faster during the first 3 years than at any other time.
- A baby’s foot arch does not develop until age 2/3 years.
- 70% of foot problems are caused by the wrong footwear or ill-fitting shoes, and the majority of these were caused during their childhood.
- At birth, a foot contains 22 bones - by school age this rises to 45.
- Over the next 13-14 years, these bones will fuse together to create the 26 bones that make up the adult foot.
- Every year the average person walks 2,500 miles, which is the equivalent of walking from Newquay, Cornwall to Inverness, Scotland, there and back (twice!)
- Children take in excess of 15,000 steps per day!
It is therefore very important to recognise that a child’s shoes need to be well-fitted and supportive, not just in the early years but until full development.
Look after them, because we do! :)